Friday, April 27, 2012

Learning to Cook…

image

So I mentioned the last time I wrote that I am taking the Family Herbalist course through Vintage Remedies.   I think I also mentioned that I am learning to cook and prepare whole foods and the importance of diet in my pursuit of a healthier trimmer me. 

DSC_0001

This is all new to me (well, not entirely but still) it is recommended that I undertake a bit at a time.   It is foolish to decide that by the end of next week I will use no processed foods or grains, drop my diet soda addiction and begin eating spinach by the acre.  BUT I can chose one change and implement it until it becomes habit.

I have this going for me: we raise our own grass fed beef (we sell it too! if’n ya are in need), I garden and preserve some of our food and I make my own bread.   I thought this made me a superstar of nutrition.  It.does.not.

The first step I am working on is sweeteners.  Because of my blood sugar issues (I am a hypoglycemic in various stages of denial) I thought this was logical.   I am working toward eliminating High Fructose Corn Syrup and other nutrient free (and many times nutrient depleting) sweeteners and replacing them with better choices.   The granola pictured above is sweetened with pure Maple Syrup and our very own raw honey.  (oh yeah, I forgot to mention, we have our own bees but still superstar status eludes me)

DSC_0002

My aunt contributed homemade vanilla extract, a Christmas gift from 2011.

I have also made breakfast bars using sucanat (which I am now fond of) and Maple Nut Bars. 

My sister and my aunt (who are light years ahead of me) are coaching me along the way and the information I am learning through the Family Herbalist course is plenty of motivation.   I am hoping to move on to my next goal soon: eliminating soda.

Wish me luck.

If you don’t mind I am not going to proofread tonight.  I am off to exercise a bit before bed and then relax with God’s Word.

BTW my sister sent me a link to this blog.  I think you will enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you're listening! Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...