Friday, March 8, 2013

Lessons from a Hula Hoop…

*Tomorrow is my birthday.   Tomorrow I will be old (okay, okay not really….I’ll be 37)  I noticed it feels a bit like spring outside as we finished up a few errands and on a whim I grabbed a hula hoop from the toy department.   I have never been successful at hula hooping but it looks so stinkin’ fun!  And I was inspired by this….

Anyway I bought a hoop right….the kids and I tried it out….and I could not do it.   I watched video after video (hooping is so easy, I just taught an 80 yr old woman to do it.  Blah blah blah)  Defeated and mostly feeling old and fat (I blame everything on being fat) I almost gave up and then I read something interesting.   Turns out that the hoop must be a whole lot bigger than the ones you find in the toy section to work.  It wasn’t because I didn’t have the ability, it wasn’t because I was old and it certainly wasn’t because I am fat….it wasn’t me at all, it was the tool.

I immediately thought of my children.  These little guys are trying to navigate a scary world with inferior tools and often rather than recognizing it isn’t the child that is the problem, it’s the tools that they are using I become frustrated and discouraged.  So I ordered a bigger hula hoop and decided to focus a bit more giving these little ones the tools they need.  Survival skills are important but just like a too small hoop you can’t keep them spinning for long.  In the end you are worn out and the hoop is still on the floor.

*so, um yeah…today is my birthday…this got published late.  Hey, if I wasn’t late I wouldn’t show up at all….

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, and no you are not old yet, because you are still younger than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analysis!! I am going to use that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your site and this post. You make some very informative points.Keep up the great work!

    Hula Hooping Exercise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for letting me know you're listening! Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...