Saturday, August 11, 2012

Getting herbal…

81112 028

Today I made an Elderberry glycerite.  It will sit for 21 days and then I will use it to make elderberry syrup.  Elderberry is an excellent immune stimulant and has been shown in clinical trials to shorten the duration of the cold or flu.  

To make your own glycerite you will need:

  • 70 ml vegetable glycerin (not synthetic glycerin, make sure you check your label!)
  • 30 ml water
  • you can also add 20 g of stevia, I opted not to because this will be used in a syrup and sugar will be added then.

Add the ingredients to a sterile glass jar (I added 1 ounce of elderberries to the above recipe), seal and shake well.  Store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight for 21 days.  Shake daily.

(recipe is from the Vintage Remedies Clinical Master Herbalist Course)

81112 029

I have also made a tincture with Gotu Kola.  Gotu Kola is beneficial for many things such purifying the blood, improving the health of the skin, cleansing and boosting the immune system and strengthening the adrenals but the use I am most interested in is the benefit on the brain.  It is said to be calming, help with focus and improve concentration and memory.

If you are interested in making your own herbal medicine I recommend reading Backyard Medicine by Julie Bruton-Seal and Matthew Seal or The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook by James Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you're listening! Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...